An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Voting assistance available for absentee voters

  • Published
  • 59th Medical Wing Public Affairs

The Federal Voting Assistance Program encourages military members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens to submit a new Federal Post Card Application early enough to ensure they can participate in upcoming federal elections. 

“Your election official needs your current contact information to reach you come election time. The most efficient way is to complete a FPCA annually, with every change of address and at least 90 days prior to the election you want to vote in,” explained Tech. Sgt. Ashante Shivers, 59th Medical Wing installation voting assistance officer.

State deadlines and downloadable blank fillable FPCAs are available at, she said. With the FPCA, voters can register to vote, request an absentee ballot and update contact information with their local election office.  

People deploying should complete an FPCA after arriving to their deployed location, Shivers said. Hard copies are available from unit voting officers; FPCAs can be completed electronically at

Registered voters who have not received their ballot 30 days before the election can still vote via the Federal Write-In Ballot on Once completed, voters must print and sign the form before submitting it to their local election office.

For more information on FVAP or assistance with the absentee voting process, visit or contact Shivers at 210-292-7808. Voters can also contact their unit voting assistance officers for help.