FALLS CHURCH, Va. -- TRICARE Open Season
and Federal Benefits Open Season
are underway. You now have until Dec. 10, 2018 to enroll in a new plan or change your enrollment between plans. The choice you make will take effect Jan. 1, 2019 and will remain in effect through all of 2019.
TRICARE and Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP) each have an open season for enrollment. Enrollment in FEDVIP is through the Federal Benefits Opens Season. While the dates are the same, there are two separate actions for changing your TRICARE health plan, or enrolling in a FEDVIP dental or vision plan.
What can I do during TRICARE Open Season?
TRICARE Open Season is an annual period when you may make changes to your health plan. Previously, you could change your health plan at any time. Now, you have to make your plan changes during open season or after you or a family member experiences a Qualifying Life Event. You have three options regarding your 2019 coverage:
- Do nothing. If you want to stay with your current TRICARE health care plan, you don’t have to take any action. You’ll continue in your current plan through 2019 or as long as eligible.
- Enroll in a plan. If you’re eligible for TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Select, you can enroll in either plan.
- Change plans. If you’re already enrolled in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Select, you can switch plans and switch between individual and family enrollment.
What can I do during Federal Benefits Open Season?
For 2019 coverage, eligible beneficiaries may now enroll in dental and vision plans through the U.S. Office of Personnel Management’s Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program. If you’re eligible, you can:
- Enroll in a FEDVIP vision plan
- Enroll in a FEDVIP dental plan
- Enroll in both
- Enroll in neither
The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program (TRDP), provided by Delta Dental, ends on Dec. 31, 2018. There is no automatic enrollment in a FEDVIP dental plan for 2019 for TRDP enrollees. If you don’t actively enroll in a FEDVIP dental plan, you won’t have FEDVIP dental coverage.
Learn more about TRICARE Open Season and Federal Benefits Open Season that are underway, as well as how to make your enrollment choices. You can review your plan choices using plan comparison tools available on both the TRICARE and FEDVIP websites. If you want to make a change in your health care coverage, take command of your health and participate in open season.