Colonel Virginia A. Garner is the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, La. She provides Combatant Commanders with medical programs to create and sustain reliable combat ready forces to conduct nuclear deterrence and global strike operations. Colonel Garner directs strategy, policy, training, manpower, and resources for eight military treatment facilities in nine Wings with 2,530 medical staff, assuring trusted care for 171,000 beneficiaries via $107 million annual operating budgets. Colonel Garner promotes the Air Force Surgeon General’s programs for resilient Airmen and families, a fit force, casualty care, clinical quality, and patient safety within the command.
Colonel Garner is a 1990 distinguished graduate from the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Miami, Fla. She later attended the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences and was board certified as a Family Nurse Practitioner in 2000. She has held multiple clinical leadership roles in inpatient, outpatient, and deployed operations. Prior to this assignment, she served as the Director of Air Force Nursing Operations, and has commanded five times, including two squadrons and three groups, mostly recently as the 99th Medical Group Commander at Nellis AFB, Nev.
1990 Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Miami (Distinguished Graduate) 1992 Aerospace Flight Nursing Course
1994 Nursing Service Management School
1996 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2000 Master of Science in Nursing, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences 2005 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Medical Readiness Planners Course 2006 Contingency Wartime Planners Course
2007 Joint Operations Medical Managers Course 2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2007 SDE Medical Readiness Fellowship, in residence
2011 Interagency Institute for Federal Healthcare Executives 2013 Joint Medical Executive Skills Capstone Course
2014 Joint Senior Medical Leaders Course
2015 Patient Safety Executive Development Program
1. August 1986 - May 1990, AF ROTC Cadet, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla.
2. September 1990 - February 1991, Student, Nurse Internship Program, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. February 1991 - October 1993, Clinical Nurse, Medical/Surgical Unit, Patrick AFB, Fla.
4. October 1993 - April 1995, Clinical Nurse, Emergency Services, Patrick AFB, Fla.
5. April 1995 - September 1996, Clinical Nurse, Emergency Services, Keesler AFB, Miss.
6. September 1996 - July 1998, Assistant Nurse Manager, Intensive Care Unit, Keesler AFB, Miss.
7. August 1998 - May 2000, AFIT Student, Uniformed Services University of Health Science, Bethesda, Md.
8. June 2000 - June 2003, Nurse Practitioner/Primary Care Manager, Family Health Clinic, Tinker AFB, Okla.
9. June 2003 - July 2004, Element Chief/Primary Care Manager, Family Practice Clinic, Patrick AFB, Fa.
10. July 2004 - July 2006, Flight Commander/Primary Care Manager, Primary Care Flight, Patrick AFB, Fla.
11. January 2006 - May 2006, Nurse Practitioner, Deployed Warrior Medical Management Center, Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Landstuhl, Germany
12. August 2006 - August 2007, Fellow, USCENTAF Medical Readiness Fellowship Program, Shaw AFB, S.C.
13. August 2007 - June 2009, Chief, Clinical Ops, USAFCENT Office of the Command Surgeon, Shaw AFB, S.C.
14. June 2009 - June 2011, Commander, 31st Surgical Operations Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
15. July 2011 - May 2012, Commander, 375th Medical Operations Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
16. June 2012 - June 2013, Commander, 386th Expeditionary Medical Group, Southwest Asia
17. June 2013 - July 2015, Commander, 15th Medical Group, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
18. July 2015 - June 2016, Director, Air Force Nursing Operations, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
19. June 2016 - June 2018, Commander, 99th Medical Group, Nellis AFB, Nev.
20. July 2018 - Present, Command Surgeon, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster Air Force Achievement Medal Army Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with seven oak leaf clusters
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Outstanding Student Award, 1999 & 2000
Board Certified as Family Nurse Practitioner, 2000
Air Force Advanced Practice Nurse of the Year, 2002
Air Force Space Command Advanced Practice Nurse of the Year, 2004
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 10, 1990
First Lieutenant June 10, 1992
Captain June 10, 1994
Major April 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2007
Colonel May 1, 2011
(Current as of July 2018)