Major General Gerald E. Harmon is the Air National Guard assistant to the surgeon general, United States Air Force, Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C. He serves as the principal adviser on Air National Guard medical service matters to the surgeon general. His responsibilities also include coordinating medical policies, plans, and programs for the Air National Guard.
The general received his commission in 1973, attending medical school in the Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program. Following graduation from medical school in 1977, he attended the Family Practice Residency at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. Following several assignments in the Air Force, General Harmon transferred to the South Carolina Air National Guard. While he was commander of the 169th Tactical Clinic at McEntire Air National Guard Base, the unit was twice chosen as South Carolina Air National Guard Outstanding Unit and received "Excellent" evaluations from the Air Force Inspection Agency. He is a chief flight surgeon with more than 700 flying hours.
1973 Bachelor of science degree in physics and math, University of South Carolina, Columbia
1976 Doctor of medicine degree, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
1998 Air War College, by correspondence
1. July 1977 - July 1980, resident, family practice, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
2. July 1980 - September 1980, student, Aerospace Medicine Primary, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
3. September 1980 - July 1981, flight surgeon, 363rd Tactical Hospital, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
4. July 1981 - July 1982, commander, 363rd Tactical Hospital, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
5. July 1982 - September 1983, flight surgeon, 19th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
6. September 1983 - September 1987, flight surgeon, 157th Tactical Fighter Squadron, McEntire Air National Guard Base, S.C.
7. September 1987 - September 1989, chief, professional services, 169th Tactical Clinic, McEntire Air National Guard Base, S.C.
8. September 1989 - April 1994, commander, 169th Tactical Clinic, McEntire Air National Guard Base, S.C.
9. April 1994 - January 1997, commander, 169th Medical Squadron, 169th Tactical Clinic, McEntire Air National Guard Base, S.C.
10. January 1997 - December 2000, state air surgeon, Headquarters, South Carolina Air National Guard, Columbia, S.C.
11. December 2000 - December 2003, Air National Guard assistant to the command surgeon, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
12. December 2003 - present, Air National Guard assistant to the surgeon general, United States Air Force, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
Rating: Chief flight surgeon
Flight hours: More than 700
Aircraft flown: RF-4C, 0-2A, C-141B, C-130H, F-16B, 0V-10A, C-131, C-26, CH-3, UH-1B, T-39A,
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with 1 device
Air Force Commendation Medal with 2 devices
Air Force Achievement Medal with 1 device
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 1 device
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal with 1 device
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with 6 devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 2 devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with 1 device
Air Force Training Ribbon
State of South Carolina Governor's Unit Citation with 1 device
Palmetto Service Ribbon
Family physician, Waccamaw Medical Center, Pawley's Island, S.C.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant Aug 17, 1973
First Lieutenant Nov 24, 1976
Captain Jun 5, 1977
Major Jun 5, 1982
Lieutenant Colonel, Jul 23, 1986
Colonel Jun 4, 1990
Brigadier General, Mar 30, 2001
Major General, Feb 6, 2004
(Current as of May 2004)