Chief Master Sergeant Karl P. Day is Superintendent of the Air Force Medical Readiness Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He is the senior enlisted advisor to the AFMRA Commander and assists with the execution of Air Force Surgeon General policies supporting Air Force expeditionary capabilities, health care operations and national security strategies. He provides senior enlisted consultative leadership in support of more than 44,000 personnel, 76 Military Treatment Facilities and a $6.2 billion budget. Chief Day ensures a cost effective, modern and prevention-based health care continuum for 2.6 million beneficiaries worldwide.
Chief Day entered the Air Force in February 1991. Upon completion of Basic Military Training he attended technical training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, and graduated as an Aerospace Medical Service Apprentice. Chief Day has served in various leadership positions at the flight, squadron, group and major command levels. He has deployed in support of operations in African, European and Southwest Asia regions, including Operations Restore Hope, Northern Watch, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. Prior to his current position, the chief served as the Chief, Medical Enlisted Force, HQ Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Florida.
1996 Airman Leadership School, Luke AFB, Ariz.
1999 Independent Duty Medical Technician Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2003 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
2006 Associate Degree in Allied Health Science, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2009 USAF First Sergeant Academy Additional Duty Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2011 Bachelor of Science, Health Care Management (Summa Cum Laude), Trident University International, Cypress, Calif.
2012 Air Force Material Command Chiefs' Orientation Course, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2012 Intermediate Executive Skills Course, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
2016 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. February 1991 - March 1991, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. March 1991 - July 1991, Student, Medical Service Specialist Technical Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. August 1991 - August 1992, Surgical Unit Specialist, 58th Medical Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. September 1992 - October 1993, Medical/Surgical Unit Specialist, 58th Medical Group, Luke AFB, Ariz. (February 1993 – April 1993 Operation Restore Hope, Cairo, West Egypt)
5. October 1993 - November 1994, Special Care Unit Specialist, 58th Medical Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. November 1994 - October 1996, Special Care Unit Journeyman, 58th Medical Operations Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. October 1996 - September 1997, Assistant NCOIC, Special Care Unit, 58th Medical Operations Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. September 1997 - January 2000, Shift Leader Emergency Services, 58th Medical Operations Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. January 2000 - December 2000, NCOIC, Allergy and Immunization, 48th Medical Operations Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom
10. December 2000 - June 2002, Assistant NCOIC, Resuscitative Medicine, 48th Medical Support Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, UK
11. June 2002 - September 2002, NCOIC, Education & Training Flight, 48th Medical Support Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, UK (April 2003 - July 2003, Operation Northern Watch/Enduring Freedom, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey)
12. September 2002 - October 2003, NCOIC, Medical Services Flight, 48th Medical Operations Squadron RAF Lakenheath, UK
13. October 2003 - August 2005, Superintendent, Services Medical Flight, 48th Medical Operations Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, UK (January 2004 - May 2004, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Incirlik AB, Turkey deployed)
14. August 2005 - January 2008, NCOIC, Base Medical Services, 704th Mission Support Group, Arnold AFB, Tenn.
15. January 2008 - March 2009, Superintendent, Base Medical Services, 704th Mission Support Group, Arnold AFB, Tenn.
16. March 2009 - January 2011, Superintendent, 96th Aerospace Medical Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla. (June 2010 - January 2011, Brigade Medical NCOIC/First Sergeant, Southwest Asia)
17. January 2011 - April 2012, Superintendent, 96th Inpatient Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
18. April 2012 - October 2012, Superintendent, 96th Medical Operations Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
19. November 2012 - September 2013, Group Superintendent, 96th Medical Group, Eglin AFB, Fla.
20. September 2013 - January 2015, Command Aerospace Medical Service 4N0X1 Functional Manager, Headquarters, United States Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
21. February 2015 - March 2017, Group Superintendent, 81st Medical Group, Keesler AFB, Miss.
22. March 2017 - November 2018, Chief, Medical Enlisted Force, HQ AFSOC, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
23. November 2018 - July 2019, Superintendent, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
24. July 2019 - Present, Superintendent, AFMRA, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
2004 SNCO of the Year, 48th Medical Operations Squadron
2004 SNCO of the Year, Brigadier General Sarah P. Wells, 48th Medical Group
2006 SNCO of the Year, Arnold Engineering and Development Center
2009 SNCO of the Year, Brigadier General Sarah P. Wells, 96th Medical Group
2010 SNCO of the Year, 96th Aerospace Medicine Squadron
2011 SNCO Lance P. Sijan USAF Leadership Award, 96th Medical Group
2011 SNCO Air Force Medical Service Leadership Award, Air Force Materiel Command
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant April 2012
(Current as of December 2019)