Colonel Frank W. Allara Jr. serves as the Vice Commander of the Air Force Medical Readiness Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. Colonel Allara oversees a staff of 423 that provides consultative leadership to more than 44,000 personnel, 76 Military Treatment Facilities and a $6 billion budget. AFMRA oversees the support and execution of medical readiness programs, expeditionary medical capabilities, and the direct support and implementation of policy, plans and programs for health care operations of the Air Force Medical Service.
Colonel Allara has commanded at the squadron, group and expeditionary group levels, and served at Air Staff and MAJCOM Headquarters. He has also worked closely with other governmental and non-governmental agencies, to include embassies, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the Theater Security Cooperation, and the United States Agency for International Development.
Before entering the U.S. Air Force as a direct accession in 1995, Colonel Allara was the owner of a private dental practice. He served two terms in elected, public office as city commissioner and vice-mayor of the city of Winchester, Kentucky, and also served with the campaign organizations of President George H.W. Bush, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and U.S. Representative Larry J. Hopkins, and was a finalist for the 1993 White House Fellowship Program.
1984 Bachelor of Science, Biology, University of Kentucky College of Arts and Sciences, Lexington, Ky.
1988 Doctor of Dental Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Dentistry, Lexington, Ky.
1998 Dental Leadership Course, U.S. Air Force Dental Service, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2000 Comprehensive Dentistry Certification, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md. 2000 Master of Science in Health Sciences, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Intermediate Executive Skills Course, U.S. Air Force Medical Service, San Antonio, Texas
2011 Interagency Institute of Federal Healthcare Executives, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2012 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 CAPSTONE, Joint Medical Executive Skills Institute, Washington, D.C.
1. May 1995 - July 1998, General Dental Officer, 89th Dental Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
2. July 1998 - July 2000, Resident, Advanced Education in General Dentistry-2 Program, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md.
3. July 2000 - October 2001, Chief of Dental Services, 425th Air Base Squadron, Izmir NATO Air Station, Turkey
4. October 2001 - July 2002, Deputy Director, Advanced Education in General Dentistry-1 Residency Program, 11th Dental Squadron, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
5. July 2002 - July 2004, Dental Services Fellow, Office of the Surgeon General, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
6. July 2004 - July 2007 Aerospace Medicine - Dental Division Chief, 470th Air Base Squadron, Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base, Germany
7. July 2007 - June 2009 Assistant Chief, Dental Support Division, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Lackland-Kelly AFB, Texas
8. June 2009 - June 2011, Commander, 51st Dental Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
9. June 2011 - July 2012, Student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. August 2012 - July 2013, Commander, 376th Expeditionary Medical Group, Transit Center at Manas, Kyrgyzstan
11. August 2013 - July 2015, Commander, 18th Medical Group, Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan
12. July 2015 - July 2017, Deputy Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
13. July 2017 - June 2019, Director, Air Force Dental Operations, Dental Directorate, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
14. July 2019 - July 2020, Director, Air Force Dental Operations, Air Force Medical Readiness Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
15. July 2020 - Present, Vice Commander, Air Force Medical Readiness Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
2006 Field Grade Officer of the Year, 38th Combat Support Wing, Sembach, Germany
2002-2004, Air Force Delegate, American Dental Association
2018 Distinguished Alumnus, University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry
Fellow and Deputy Regent, District 4, International College of Dentists
“Effect of three direct restorative materials on molar cuspal fracture resistance,” American Journal of Dentistry, 2004
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain February 28, 1995
Major February 28, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel February 29, 2004
Colonel May 31, 2009
(Current as of July 2020)