Colonel Vito S. Smyth is the Command Surgeon for Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As the principal medical advisor to the AFMC Commander, he is responsible for promoting the health and well-being of more than 80,000 military and civilian personnel, implementing safe, high quality health care services, and leading execution of the U.S. Air Force Surgeon General’s medical policies and programs for seven military treatment facilities and the 711th Human Performance Wing. Colonel Smyth ensures 5,600 medical personnel are ready to deploy and able to provide robust medical contingency response while supporting more than 376,000 TRICARE and Department of Veterans Affairs beneficiaries. This also includes overseeing environmental and occupational health support for AFMC’s industrial, research, development, testing, and evaluation missions, including medical aspects of AFMC’s nuclear and biological personnel reliability programs. The Command Surgeon and staff also promote career force development and clinical skills sustainment for all AFMC medical personnel. Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Smyth was the Deputy Command Surgeon, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
Colonel Smyth enlisted in the United States Air Force as an Inventory Management Specialist upon graduation from Lancaster (Ohio) High School in 1987. After earning his Bachelor of Science in Business and Management from the University of Maryland, he was honorably discharged from the Air Force in 1993 and attended law school. After receiving his Juris Doctor from Cleveland State University in 1996, he was admitted to the practice of law in Ohio that same year. Colonel Smyth received a direct commission into the United States Air Force Medical Service Corps in 1997, and has served in a variety of legislative liaison, medical administration leadership and command positions at the installation, higher headquarters and Joint level. He also earned a Master of Health Administration from Baylor University in 2004 and a Master of Strategic Studies from the Air War College in 2014. Colonel Smyth is admitted to the bars of the Supreme Court of the United States as well as various other federal courts. He is board certified in executive healthcare management from the American College of Healthcare Executives.
1993 Bachelor of Science in Business and Management, University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
1996 Juris Doctor, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio
1998 Distinguished Graduate, Air Force Health Services Administration Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2001 Certificate of Knowledge in the Italian Language, Centro Lingua Italiana Calvino, Florence, Italy
2004 Master of Health Administration, Baylor University, Waco, Texas
2004 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Air War College, by correspondence
2010 Air Force Legislative Fellow, Government Affairs Institute, Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
2014 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Interagency Institute for Federal Health Care Executives, 133rd Seminar, Washington D.C.
2019 Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2019 Military Health System LEADS Capstone Course, Seminar 61, Washington D.C.
1. February 1998 - September 1999, Medical Records Flight Commander, 72nd Medical Operations Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
2. September 1999 - May 2002, Medical Information Systems Flight Commander, 92nd Medical Support Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
3. June 2002 - July 2004, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, San Antonio, Texas.
4. July 2004 - September 2005, Executive Officer to the Command Surgeon and Assistant Surgeon General for Dental Services, Office of the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
5. September 2005 - September 2006, Group Practice Manager, 88th Medical Operations Squadron, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio (April 2006 August 2006, deployed as Joint Medical Plans Officer, Operation Noble Eagle, Joint Task Force – Civil Support, Fort Monroe, Va.)
6. October 2006 - January 2008, Chief, Medical Operations and Plans Analysis, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington D.C. (March 2007 - December 2007, detailed as a Senior Researcher and Policy Analyst, Task Force on the Future of Military Health Care, Office of the Secretary of Defense [Health Affairs], Falls Church, Va.)
7. January 2008 - July 2009, Chief, Policy and Legal Analysis Branch, Plans and Policy Directorate, Joint Task Force National Capital Region Medical, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md.
8. July 2009 - December 2010, Intermediate Developmental Education Student, Air Force Legislative Fellow, personal staff member for Senator Daniel K. Akaka (Hawaii), United States Senate, Washington D.C.
9. December 2010 - June 2011, Chief, Legislative Issues Branch, Air Force Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
10. June 2011 - June 2013, Commander, 22nd Medical Support Squadron and Administrator, 22nd Medical Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
11. July 2013 - May 2014, Senior Developmental Education Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2014 - July 2015, Interim Director, Congressional and Public Affairs Directorate, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, Va. (January 2015 - June 2015, deployed as Commander, 379th Expeditionary Medical Support Squadron, Operations Freedom’s Sentinel and Inherent Resolve, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar).
13. July 2015 - September 2016, Executive Officer to the 22nd Air Force Surgeon General, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. September 2016 - May 2017, Chief, Healthcare Facilities Operations and Analytics Branch, Resources and Management Directorate, Defense Health Agency, Falls Church, Va.
15. May 2017 - May 2018, Commander, 39th Medical Group, Incirlik AB, Turkey.
16. May 2018 - July 2020, Commander and Director, 11th Medical Group, then 316th Medical Group, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
17. July 2020 - May 2021, Deputy Command Surgeon, Office of the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
18. May 2021 - Present, Command Surgeon, Office of the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. January 2008 - July 2009, Chief, Policy and Legal Analysis Branch, Plans and Policy Directorate, Joint Task Force National Capitol Region Medical, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md., as a major
2. September 2016 - May 2017, Chief, Healthcare Facilities Operations and Analytics Branch, Resources and Management Directorate, Defense Health Agency, Falls Church, Va., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant December 28, 1997
First Lieutenant December 28, 1999
Captain December 28, 2001
Major October 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2010
Colonel August 1, 2016
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND BAR ADMISSIONS
Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives
The Supreme Court of the United States
The United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
The United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
The Supreme Court of Ohio
(Current as of May 2021)