Colonel (Dr.) Matthew P. Hanson is the Command Surgeon, Air Force Special Operations Command. He is responsible for establishing, coordinating and sustaining a health care system for AFSOC personnel, and for organizing, training and equipping AFSOC medical forces for contingency medical support. As the air component surgeon to USSOCOM, he plans the execution of all Air Force medical support for Air Force Special Operations Forces, and serves as the principal Air Force medical service advisor to USSOCOM.
Colonel Hanson is a 1999 graduate of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, where he earned a Doctor of Medicine degree. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and a Certified Physician Executive. Colonel Hanson has served in command, staff and clinical positions in the garrison, headquarters and operational environments. Prior to his current position, he was the Commander of the 96th Medical Group and Director of the Defense Health Agency’s multi-service market in northwest Florida.
1995 Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, Iowa State University, Iowa
1999 Doctor of Medicine degree, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Md.
2002 Pediatrics Residency, San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium, Texas 2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Aerospace Medicine Primary Course, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Texas 2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Joint Senior Medical Leader Course, Arlington, Va.
2015 Interagency Institute for Federal Health Care Executives, Arlington, Va. 2016 Level IV Antiterrorism Executive Seminar, Falls Church, Va.
2017 Capstone Course for Military Health System Leaders, McLean, Va. 2019 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. July 1995 - May 1999, Medical Student, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Md.
2. June 1999 - June 2002, Pediatrics Resident, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. July 2002 - July 2003, Staff Pediatrician, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
4. July 2003 - July 2005, Element Leader, Pediatrics, Allergy, and Immunizations, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
5. July 2005 - July 2007, Branch Chief, Primary Care, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
6. July 2007 - February 2008, Flight Commander, Pediatrics, Peterson AFB, Colo.
7. February 2008 - July 2010, Chief of the Medical Staff, Peterson AFB, Colo.
8. July 2010 - July 2012, Theater Validating Flight Surgeon, Theater Patient Movement Requirements Center-Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
9. July 2012 - June 2013, Deputy Director, Theater Patient Movement Requirements Center-Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. June 2013 - June 2015, Commander, 579th Medical Operations Squadron, and Deputy Commander, 579th Medical Group, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2015 - June 2016, Chief, Expeditionary Medical Readiness Division, Air Force Medical Support Agency, Falls Church, Va.
12. July 2016 - June 2018, Commander, 460th Medical Group, Buckley AFB, Colo.
13. July 2018 - June 2019, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2019 - May 2021, Commander, 96th Medical Group, Eglin AFB, Fla.
15. May 2021 - present, Command Surgeon, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2012 - June 2013, Deputy Director, Theater Patient Movement Requirement Center-Europe, United States Transportation Command, Ramstein AB, Germany
Rating: Flight Surgeon Flight hours: 106
Aircraft: C-21A, C130J, and KC-135R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air & Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
Member, American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Uniformed Services
Member, American Association for Physician Leadership
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain May 15, 1999
Major May 15, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel May 15, 2011
Colonel May 31, 2015
(Current as of May 2021)